Client brief: Plan and implement marketing communications activity
Holdsworth House is a family owned hotel, restaurant and wedding venue in Halifax. Almost 10 years ago, the team needed an extra pair of hands to help generate and implement revenue-driving ideas. Before freelancing, I worked as the marketing director of two national hotel groups: QHotels and Paramount Hotels. As a result, I understood how Holdsworth House operated and just what it needed to grow its core accommodation, wedding and restaurant business.
10 years on and Holdsworth House has retained my services. Regular marketing activities include:
- writing quality website content (using a WordPress content management system) including Yoast SEO components, plus keywords and phrases, headings, image tags and backlinks
- social media and messaging management
- e-newsletters to engage target audiences
- managing databases to GDPR compliance
- developing new products and services
- organising and promoting events, open days and wedding fairs
- establishing promotions and offers to reach revenue and occupancy targets
- designing and printing leaflets, brochures, menus and posters for in-house display or mailouts
- improving exposure and visibility across media streams and booking platforms
- increasing conversion of sales and on-property spend
- press releases for local, regional and national media
- internal comms and team SOP manuals
Today, Holdsworth House is a driving force of inbound tourism to Halifax. Together the hotel team and I have forged strong links with regional tourism bodies, nearby attractions and local influencers. Thinking big – attracting film crews and famous faces – has helped lift the hotel’s leisure sales to a healthy 40% of the business, filling trough periods and increasing on-site spend. Wedding business has increased to an average 125 events per year and developmental plans are in place for a new spa within the hotel grounds – it’s always exciting to work with Holdsworth House!